Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Looney ‘Auto-Tunes’

My mind tends to wander from time to time when I am bored with the conversations going on around me. This leads to many obscure observations and random realizations. One such recent observation is that every Looney Tunes character has some sort of speech impediment (Lisps, stutters, cluttering, dysprosody, spitting and muteness to name a few). The only one that I can think of that doesn’t have some sort of verbal issue is Marvin the Martin and he doesn’t even have a mouth, which is an issue in itself. I have a few theories on why, but none of them hold any real merit.

1-Warner Brothers wants to raise awareness of speech issues.
DEBUNKED- There are a lot more effective ways of raising awareness, without mocking people with ‘disabilities.’

2-When animals evolve; there will be a certain learning curve when it comes to speaking
DEBUNKED-This still doesn’t explain Yosemite Sam or Elmer Fudd.

3-The voice over people all had voice issues.
DEBUNKED-This would be like an amputee being a hand model. Not very likely.

The only thing that really makes sense is that they decided to give them speaking issues for the pure fact of making a quick easy joke at the expense of people with real issues. Appealing to what I like to call ‘barbarianistic humor’ which is making jokes at the expensive of people with issues that can’t be helped. This is also why characters like Speedy Gonzales (really annoying Mexican), Pepe Le Pew (Horny Frenchmen), and Daffy Duck (Angry Black Duck) are based solely off stereotypes. Granted these characters were created in a time when there was no real politically correctness and you could get away with just about anything. Although I think Pang the Panda that loved to take pictures would have made a great character. I have really solved nothing from writing this, but I hope I raised some awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment